Waterloo Mayor Quentin Hart reelected to a fifth term
WATERLOO, Iowa (KWWL) — Incumbent Waterloo Mayor Quentin Hart has won reelection for his fifth term, defeating challenger Wayne Nathem.
The unofficial results show Hart winning with 4,580 votes and 68% of the vote, while Nathem received 2,125 votes and 31.5% of the vote.
Hart is the first African-American mayor in Waterloo’s history and was first elected in 2015. Nathem ran against Hart in 2015 when voters first elected him to the mayor’s office. After defeating Nathem in 2015, Hart ran unopposed in two elections and won a contested race against Former City Councilwoman Margaret Klein.
This election, Nathem decided to run for mayor against Hart again. Nathem ran on lowering property taxes, improving city infrastructure and roads, and reigning in what he views as wasteful spending.
Mayor Hart ran his reelection campaign on his accomplishments from the past seven years, including increasing homeownership and housing availability, revitalizing Downtown Waterloo and business growth in areas like North Crossing.
In a new term, Hart said his priorities include completing the fiber broadband initiative.
The new broadband communications system has been in the works for years. In 2005, the voters of Waterloo supported the formation of a municipal telecom. Last September, 84% of residents in Waterloo voted for a $20 million general obligation bond to build the network.
It will be a three-phase, several-year project. When it is done, the city said the new network will cover hundreds of miles of fiber internet, giving every home and business access to ultra-high-speed broadband internet. Each phase is expected to last a year, so the hope is to expand service to the entire city by 2026.
Hart said it is crucial to continue moving forward with significant infrastructure projects like San Marnan Road, La Porte Road and the bridge revitalization work.
Voters considered a referendum on Election Day to change the sales and options service tax. Voters decided to pass the proposal. Currently, 100% of taxes are set aside for city roads.
Under the newly passed proposal, 80% of the taxes would go toward roads and the remaining 20% would go toward property tax relief.
“It doesn’t make a difference if you have an ‘R’ by your name or ‘D’ by your name and you don’t claim any political party,” Hart said. “My goal is to work and partner with people, and that’s what I’ve been doing for the last eight years as Mayor.”
Mayor Hart is focusing his efforts on a 2030 vision plan where housing access is a main priority. He is pushing for an additional 800 new homes to be constructed, another 800 homes to be refurbished, and for a total of at least 800 multifamily residences by the year 2030 in Waterloo.
Hart is a Waterloo native, and he and his wife Cassandra have three children.
CLICK HERE for more election results. For results not seen on kwwl.com, go to the Secretary of State’s website here.